This short course is intended for an audience interested in gaining a deeper understanding and wider use of statistical theory and practice. Formal statistical theory is pervasive in various disciplines – the pure science, engineering and medical fields – although it may not appear so at first glance. The goal of this course is to present general concepts and principles for data analysis that pervade the various disciplines in a unified way. Topics of statistical inference theory that will be covered include different methods for parameter estimation, hypothesis testing, model selection and classification. Applications to the medical and engineering fields using specific statistical techniques, such as linear regression, analysis of variance, contingency tests, etc., will be discussed.
- To introduce basic concepts inprobability and statistics for data analysis.
- To introduce general statistical principles and practice in unified way.
- To perform analysis using various statistical techniques such as linear regression, analysis of variance and contingency tables based on the general principles, and to be able to interpret the results using these principles.
- To illustrate applications in the fields of pure science, engineering and medicine
Targeted Audience: A two-day short course is targeted to an audience intending to gain deeper understanding, applicability and interpretation of statistical analyses and outputs. The course is intended for scientists, researchers, postgraduate students, medical doctors and industry researchers.
Registration Fees for Participants from Malaysian Universities
|IEEE Student Member||RM 1,200|
|Full IEEE SPsoc Member\Student Non-Member||RM 1,250|
|Full IEEE Member||RM 1,300|
Registration Fees for Participants from International Universities
|IEEE Student Member||$500|
|Full IEEE SPsoc Member\Student Non-Member||$550|
|Full IEEE Member||$600|
– Registration should be completed 7 days before course commencement.
– First-come, first-served policy is implemented due to limited seats
– Pay orders and Guarantee letters issued by company/university are not acceptable for registration.
– Confirmation of registration is upon receiving scan copy of Registration Form and Cheque/Demand draft/ online transaction proof to one of below e‐mails:
- Participants will be able to identify common statistical principles and practice across various disciplines.
- Participants will be exposed to different methods of statistical inference in estimation and hypothesis testing.
- Participants will gain knowledge and experience on using the appropriate statistical models and tools for analyzing data.
- Participants will be able to apply methods to real data and interpret results from the analysis.
The Royal Bintang Kuala Lumpur
Jalan Bikit Bintang, 55100
Click on the map to view
|Associate Professor Dr. Sarat C. Dass is an expert in statistical modeling and inference techniques. He received his PhD in Statistics from Purdue University, USA in 1998. His research activities include statistical modeling, spatial statistics, Bayesian computations and inference, pattern recognition and image analysis. He has been actively collaborating with engineers and computer scientists in solving subject area problems requiring statistical solutions. He is currently a faculty member at University Teknologi Petronas in the Department of Fundamental and Applied Sciences.|
For the further inquiries and registration for the short course on Imaging for Biomedical Applications, kindly contact:
Mr. Dileep Kumar
Centre for Intelligent Signal and Imaging Research
Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Malaysia
H/P No.: 0195591650